IAH Faculty Fellowships
Application Deadline: September 24, 2020
The Faculty Fellowship Program provides on-campus, semester-long leaves for faculty members from the College of Arts and Sciences to pursue research and creative work that leads to publication, exhibition, composition, and performance.
The Fellowship supports a weekly seminar at which up to 10 colleagues gather over a meal to discuss projects as well as broader topics of relevance to Carolina faculty. The Program Director—a faculty member and former Fellow—facilitates the weekly meetings.
As part of a three-year special focus on race, memory, and reckoning at UNC, the IAH will also award two additional fellowships dedicated specifically to faculty research, publication, support, education, and outreach on race, reckoning, and memory, each year from 2020-2023. The IAH Race, Memory, and Reckoning Initiative, which supports these fellowships, aims to contribute to a broader campus effort to place inclusion, diversity, equity, and historical accuracy at the top of the University’s agenda. Faculty may apply to either or both of the regular Fellows program and the Race, Memory, and Reckoning fellowships during this cycle.
- IAH Faculty Fellowships support work in which the arts or humanities play a central role. We welcome proposals from faculty in the natural and social sciences if the proposed project focuses on the arts or humanities.
- Faculty in the College of Arts and Sciences in tenure-track positions of all ranks in or beyond their second year at UNC are eligible to apply.
- Fixed-term faculty in or after their fourth year are also eligible if they will be returning to their department the following semester.
- The Institute seeks a blend of ranks and disciplines for each class of Fellows.
- Past Fellows may apply for an IAH fellowship five or more years after their previous award.
- Joint proposals from two faculty members are accepted.
The application process begins in the fall of each year for the next academic year. Applicants may apply for either the fall or spring semester of the following academic year. The Faculty Fellowship application process is online. All supplemental forms are uploaded as part of the online application.
The application includes:
- An online application
- A current curriculum vitae (Abbreviated to five pages, please click here for application guidelines), to be uploaded in the application (.docx or .pdf).
- A four-page project statement (Please click here for application guidelines) to be uploaded in the application (.docx or .pdf).
The deadline to apply for the 2021-2022 IAH Faculty Fellowship is Thursday, September 24, 2020.
IAH Fellows are selected by the Institute’s Faculty Advisory Board, comprising previous IAH Fellows.
Prospective applicants can receive feedback from IAH Fellows on their project statements through a virtual workshop! Email IAH Program Administrator Philip Hollingsworth (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, Aug. 28 EOD, to be paired with a former Fellow.