Tyson Academic Leadership Program
Application Deadline: October 30, 2020
The Institute for the Arts and Humanities helps prepare and support current and emerging academic leaders through our Academic Leadership Program (ALP). Eight Fellows are selected annually to engage in a series of activities to help them develop leadership skills, clarify their career commitments, build a leadership network within the campus and extend their contacts to other leaders beyond the University. Because the ALP requires a significant time commitment, a flexible use stipend of $5,000 is provided for each participant.
- A week of leadership training with the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) in Greensboro, one of the world’s most respected leadership development organizations. Fellows participate in CCL programs with senior executives from the military, government, business, and the not-for-profit sector
- Semester-long weekly seminars in the spring in which faculty discuss critical issues facing the University and formulate possible responses
- Opportunities to meet with senior leaders inside and outside the University
- One overnight retreat and one full-day retreat focused on career development, leadership skill assessment and the creation of a personal vision
After the Fellowship year, Fellows receive opportunities to:
- Participate with their colleagues in a continuing monthly Leadership Forum
- Attend additional workshops, short courses, and seminars on advanced topics in academic leadership
- Attend conferences and workshops for all Fellows from all years on topics of concern to faculty and the University
- Meet with University and state leaders to discuss important issues facing the University
Academic Leadership Fellows must be tenured faculty or fixed-term faculty members. Fixed-term faculty must have at least seven years of service at UNC in a primarily instructional role. Applicants must submit applications during the fall semester. The application period typically runs from Sept. 1 through Oct. 31 for the fellowships in the following academic year. New this year: All applicants are required to submit an application and have two recommendations sent on their behalf.
The 2021-2022 application deadline is October 30, 2020.
The ALP selection committee seeks to identify a diverse group of Fellows that represent a mix of emerging and established leaders from all parts of the University, including the arts, sciences, humanities, social sciences and the professions. Those selected are judged to be among those who will benefit the most from participation and who have the most potential to contribute as academic leaders.
For more information, contact:
IAH Program Administrator
Mai Thi Nguyen
Program Director for the Academic Leadership Program