You are here: Home About Our Facilities

Building

Hyde Hall            Building Spaces         Special Features      Historic Ground        

banner-reserve-hyde-hall.jpg 

Hyde Hall

Hyde Hall was built in 2001-2002 to provide a home for the Institute for the Arts and Humanities’ fellowship programs and spaces for intellectual exchange and faculty collaboration at UNC.

The Institute moved from West House to Hyde Hall on Sept. 19, 2002. Our building was the first structure to be built on McCorkle Place since the Morehead Building in 1949.

Hyde Hall was built and furnished with $6.8 million in private contributions, including a lead gift from alumni Barbara and Pitt Hyde of Memphis, Tenn. 

Building Spaces   


Special Features 

Historic Ground

Beneath the foundations of Hyde Hall rest two other foundations of buildings that preceded it.

A structure lost to memory and almost to record was discovered through the work of the university’s Archaeological Laboratory during the summer of 1997. The structure, privately owned, was known as "The Poor House," a place where students and others lived during much of the 19th century. Artifacts uncovered by the archaeologists date from 1810 to 1830.

The building measured about 64 feet by 16 feet and likely rose two stories. It featured a large central room with smaller rooms at each end. Chimneys butted both ends.

The land on which the structure stood was one of the original plots the university auctioned in 1793. In 1920, the university reacquired the property, a 60-foot strip of land that extended into the park-like sward now known as McCorkle Place.

The other building preceding Hyde Hall was a fraternity house, which was destroyed in about 1930. Hidden in the exterior brickwork of the chimney of Hyde Hall’s Fellows Room is a brick from the earliest building, inset into the area directly above the time capsule.

Document Actions